Word Processing 4 - Business and Cover Letters
- Get a copy of the Word Pro 4 Handout from Mr. Wilson
- Open up a copy of the Powerpoint presentation "Word Pro 4 Notes - Business Letters" in your IT 9/10 Work Files Folder
- Read through the details of this presentation and make the appropriate notes on the handout.
- Follow the instructions on the handout to create the following files:
- A copy of the full-block letter on the handout (without the text boxes).
- An original letterhead
- A template of your original letterhead
- A cover letter for a job of your choice in Revelstoke (on your own letterhead)
Cover Letter Tips:
When you're writing a cover letter to apply for a job, your letter should follow the basic format of a typical business letter and it should address three general areas:
1. First Paragraph - Why you are writing the letter and how you found out about the job
2. Middle Paragraphs - What you have to offer, why you are qualified for the job, any related experience, and why you are enthusiastic about this job.
3. Concluding Paragraph - How you will follow-up with the employer, and any closing remarks you would like to make
You may have to do some research to find the address of a local business and the name of the owner. If you do not know the name of the owner (or personnel manager), you may use the following salutation:
To Whom It May Concern:
Please note: In practice, try to avoid this anonymous salutation because you should always do the research to get the name of the person who is in charge of hiring employees.
Remember to save these files in your Portfolio in a new folder called "LastName - WP 4"